seajane

Thoughts from a Yellow Dog Democrat living in Olympia, in the great BLUE state of Washington

I am a liberal because it is the political philosophy of freedom and equality. And I am a progressive because it is the political path to a better future. And I am a Democrat because it is the political party that believes in freedom, equality and progress. -- Digby

Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Bill Kristol and the New York Times

I sent an e-mail to the NY Times cancelling my subscription to the electronic version and told them that the reason was because I couldn't support a paper that would reward and give credence to someone like Bill Kristol. I didn't expect they would even notice my little protest but it made me feel good anyway.

Much to my surprise, the NY Times responded to me!

Thank you for your e-mail concerning Bill Kristol. We appreciate your
interest and your taking the time to let us know how you feel.

Mr. Kristol's column will be appearing on the Op-Ed page, where we offer a range of diverse opinions -- often differing from our own editorial
opinions. Given that we are a news organization that believes in vibrant
political discourse, we have brought Mr. Kristol on board after a long and thoughtful search through the ranks of strong conservative voices.

Will you -- or will we -- agree with him? Probably not very often . . .
but that is the point of offering multiple views and providing intellectual
diversity. We hope the column will engender open debate and discussion in
the democratic tradition of newspapers. And we hope that you will continue to read and to express your views to us. We very much value your readership.

Sincerely,

Catherine Mathis
SVP, Corporate Communications
The New York Times Company


I'm still glad I cancelled my subscription although I'm going to really miss Paul Krugman!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home