seajane

Thoughts from a Yellow Dog Democrat living in Olympia, in the great BLUE state of Washington

I am a liberal because it is the political philosophy of freedom and equality. And I am a progressive because it is the political path to a better future. And I am a Democrat because it is the political party that believes in freedom, equality and progress. -- Digby

Sunday, November 07, 2004

I'm Done grieving -- Let's Start the Planning

Many will begin to plan the defensive pre-emptive assault (remember when that would have been an oxymoron? Now it somehow makes sense!). Some will go to truth squads and embarrass the media into doing their job. But I want to do my part to plan another portion of the new Democratic party.

NO Democrat light -- NO moving to the right. We are correct in our ideals and inclusiveness and I will NEVER sell out my gay and non-white friends and I expect that they will never turn their back on us women. Hate will never be an agenda item for the Democratic party I want to belong to and be proud of. Our values are exactly right.

So what do we do now?

My take on this is that we Democrats need to move to effective sound bites and slogans. That's the way the folks get their news today. I'm NOT saying we should resort to lying but we need to better frame our message. And the difference between Democrats and Republicans will be truthful framing vs spinning coded messages.

First I'm recommending that everyone read Don't Think of an Elephant! by George Lakoff. This book will give you an excellent idea of what I'm talking about.

Next I'm dedicating my blog to coming up with the fames for the debate in 2006 and 2008.

Please comment on any frames I come up with so we can hone them and please add you own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home