seajane

Thoughts from a Yellow Dog Democrat living in Olympia, in the great BLUE state of Washington

I am a liberal because it is the political philosophy of freedom and equality. And I am a progressive because it is the political path to a better future. And I am a Democrat because it is the political party that believes in freedom, equality and progress. -- Digby

Tuesday, October 26, 2004

My E-Mail to My Cousin

She wrote:

Jane.

> I've always voted Democratic, but this time I am
> just not sure. Kerry seems
> a bit insincere, and his wife drives me nuts - I do
> not like her. It scares
> me that Kerry might leave Iraq before the war is
> won.
>
> What do you think?

My response:

I hear you. I like John Kerry but I was disappointed
that he was picked as our candidate. We have an awful
governor's race out here in Washington -- it's hard to
talk people into voting "for" either Democrat. And
the ads are horrible!! They each spend millions to
tell us lies about the other guy. Think how cheap and
how much more useful it would be if they spent just a
fraction of the dollars but told us what THEY stand
for.

BUT we have to get Bush out -- our economy and
standing in the world cannot take 4 more years of
this. You ask if Kerry will take us out of Iraq. I
personnally hope so but he disagrees with me. Here's
what he says:

Our military performed brilliantly in the war's first
mission: ending the regime of Saddam Hussein. Today,
Americans share a desire for Iraqis to live with the
blessings of democracy and security. John Kerry and
John Edwards have a practical plan to win the peace in
Iraq and bring our troops home.

We must change course in Iraq. Having gone to war, we
cannot afford to fail at peace. The United States must
take immediate measures to prevent Iraq from becoming
a failed state that inevitably would become a haven
for terrorists and a destabilizing force in the Middle
East.

John Kerry and John Edwards will make the creation of
a stable and secure environment in Iraq our immediate
priority in order to lay the foundations for
sustainable democracy. That is the right way to get
the job done and bring our troops home. John Kerry and
John Edwards believe the following principles should
guide American policy in Iraq right now and that if
these steps are not taken, options in the future will
become more limited. This needs to be an urgent agenda
to:

* Internationalize, because others must share the
burden;
* Train Iraqis, because they must be responsible
for their own security;
* Move forward with reconstruction because that's
an important way to stop the spread of terror; and
* Help Iraqis achieve a viable government, because
it is up to them to run their own country.

I copied that right off his web site at
http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/national_security/iraq.html


Now I'm no fan of Robert Novak (he's the one that
"outed" the CIA covert operative Valerie Plame) but he
seems to have a pipeline into the Whitehouse and he
said in his 10/7 column that Bush's plan is to have a
quickie election in Iraq and then pull all the troops
out. See:
http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/07/no.victory/index.html

However, I've heard so many lies from this Whitehouse
that I don't put too much store in Novak's comments.

I've probably made your choice murkier for you. Well
whatever you decide -- please vote.

Good luck!

Jane


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home